BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Better Homes and Gardens 16 Day Dinner Challenge.....



So I must admit, while most of my posts have to do with fashion and DIY projects, I do sneak in the occational dinner recipe. Most of the magazines that come to my house have to do with fashion, although I do have a few parenting ones scattered in there(hey I have three kids remember???). The one other exception is my monthly better homes and gardens magazine, that I am always giddy to recieve, does that sound old ladyish??? Anyways my favorite part of the magazine is the recipes section. I like having new dishes to try, it keeps things interesting in the dinner department around here. Well this months issue really caught my eye. Splashed on the cover in bright orange lettering reads, "make it easy!!!" Okay so this catches my eye, as a mama of three kiddos with tons of laundry, housework, dishes and diapers at all times anything exclaiming that it is going to make my life easy has already got my full attention. So here it is.... better homes and gardens claims to have 16 fast yummy meals to make your family for dinner using a small list of grocery items. So I check out the recipes, complete with pictures of each dish, and I have to say they do look tasty. So I read on to the grocery list, more than 2/3rds of which I already have in my fridge and pantry. This gets me wondering, are these really that easy and more importantly... how do they taste? With each recipe surprisingly healthy and quick to prepare I finally come to the assumption of...."I'm game."

So I am starting tonight, and for the next three weeks (weekends we eat out as a family for dinner), I am gonna make each and every dish on this list. If you want to join along with me, please do... I would love to hear your opinion on the challenge as well. I am going to report back each of the following days to update you on just how easy or fast and most importantly how it tasted. So Day one..... the grocery list:

apples
bagged spinach
broccoli
broth
canned beans
canned tomatoes
carrots chicken breasts
chili powder
cheese crusty bread
eggs
herbs
ground meat
honey
lemons & limes
olive oil
olives
onions
pasta
refrigerated pizza dough


The first Recipe on the list.....

Chicken and Vegetable Saute'

Ingredients

  • 2 cups broccoli florets
  • 4 medium carrots, cut lengthwise into strips
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 4 medium boneless skinless boneless chicken breasts (1-1/4 lb. total), cut lengthwise into thirds
  • 1/2 of a medium red onion, cut in thin wedges
  • 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 15-oz. great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 Tbsp. finely shredded lemon peel

Directions

1. Fill a 3-quart saucepan about 2/3 full with water; add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling; add broccoli and carrots. Boil 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain vegetables and place in bowl of ice water to stop cooking. When cool, drain; set aside.

2. Heat oil in a very large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through about 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Remove from skillet; set aside.

3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add beans, broth, lemon peel, vegetables, and chicken. Cook and stir 1 minute or until heated through. Makes 4 servings.


Wish me Luck!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment